My own scientific knitting

Friday, February 08, 2013
In all that thinking about intersection of craft and science, I forgot to look at my own designs to see if I could identify ones specifically inspired by science & nature.  Apparently I like mathematical and natural hats - which is unsurprising because imho the knit hat is an amazing feat of mathematics, physics, engineering, and art all rolled into one. You take a line and create a 3-dimensional irregular half-sphere that fits a head!?! And a rank knitting beginner can do it without much effort? To me the sock is just showing off, whereas the hat is a pure joy.  Also, bulky hats work up fast and are warm and awesome.

Lo and behold (links go to Ravelry):


Euphorbia Hat: Inspired by a spurge cactus at Longwood Gardens


I Love Pi hat: Knit top down based on C=PiD, ridges are in the pattern 3.14159...


Punica Hat: inspired by the pomegranate family

1 comments:

  • Katherine Rollins

    I think there are a lot of scientific knitters out there. I am still amazed and honored by a knitter who made my hat design a science lesson on the Transit of Venus: http://www.katherinerollins.blogspot.com/2012/07/knitters-are-amazing.html

    Good topic!

  • Copyright Notice

    All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.