flower

Tuesday, November 01, 2011
It's November 1st, which could mean lots of things.  For one, I miss singing in the choir - right now I would normally be breathing in incense smoke while singing someone's mass and getting all lightheaded from it all.  But not tonight - I've traded in my black cassock for the sensible shoes of being Cantus Choir Mom (and they generally don't sing after bedtime on a school night!).

For many people, it seems, November 1st is the start of a monthlong challenge to do something extraordinary.  And not just that, but to do it with (or perhaps in some competition against) other people, using a cute nickname that's somewhat understandable once you have the code.  Here are some options that I've seen:
  • NaNoWriMo: The one that started it all, NAtional NOvel WRIting MOnth, in which participants try to write a 50,000 word novel in the month of November.  I believe a first draft is expected, not a publishable manuscript.
  • NaBloPoMo: NAtional BLOg POsting MOnth, in which participants (often with the help of a prompt from the linked page) write a blog post per day during November.
  • NaKniSweMo: NAtional KNIt a SWEater MOnth, started by Shannon Okey aka Knitgrrl, to knit a sweater of at least 50,000 stitches (so baby and/or superbulky ones don't count). The link here goes to Ravelry, FYI.
  • NaKnitDeMo: NAtional KNIT DEsign MOnth, which may or may not be confined to my (perhaps loony) friend Katherine, who is going to try to sketch out a design a day, so that she has 30 ideas sketched by the end of the month.
I'm sure there are lots more, but as I am a knitter these are the ones I've seen so far.

I'm declining to participate officially in any of these, for lots of reasons.  Among them, I already have quite a challenging month ahead of me and don't need to add more work!  I've got the samples and patterns for them to finish and send to KnitCircus, a sweater to design and knit for the DS, and several other designs in the works for KnitPicks, for starters.  And then there's the fact that when I set myself a goal of, say, blogging every day, I feel guilty when I (inevitably) take a day off (like, say, the day after Thanksgiving, which is mostly spent asleep and digesting).  But since I also feel some peer pressure to do something amazing this month, here are my mini-goals:
5 skeins hanging to dry in the shower

  1. Samples and pattern sent to KnitCircus ahead enough of time that I can use Priority not Express mail.  I've swatched for half of the samples and am stuck until I can find a specific stitch dictionary to see how something has been done before, before I can write out the stitch for the second.
  2. Sweater for DS.  He's small (small for a person, not for his age), so that won't be a huge undertaking.  This means knit the sweater, write the pattern, send it to the TE, get testers.  I hear the dryer dinging; that means the swatches are dry!
  3. Finish the patterns for KP that have been hanging around my neck.  These are a vest, hat, scarf/hat/mittens, purse, and child's outfit.
  4. Set the handspun that is waiting to be set.  (Hey, look! Halfway there!)
  5. Spin 8oz by the end of the month.
  6. Figure out Xmas gifts for people, including any that should/can be knit.
  7. Mail Parallel her dang present from last year's Xmas, birthdays, and baby arrival!
  8. Get back to my preferred turnaround on tech editing of 4 days, not 7-8.
So these end up not being in any one area of fiber crafts, but instead cover pretty much all of the things I like to do.  So maybe what I should declare is some sort of KTFiMo - KT FIber MOnth - in which I work hard to be productive and still have fun with my fibery pursuits.

2 comments:

  • Steph

    I tried NaNoWriMo once...didn't make it past the first week, sadly!

    sounds like you do have enough on your plate already, too.

  • Katherine Rollins

    Me, looney? Well, yes, that's about right! Thanks for noticing! :-)

    You certainly have enough to do. I can't wait to see all those knits in your backlog.

    It's November creative crazy month. Everyone back to work. LOL!

  • Copyright Notice

    All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.