Fiber Friday - 10/21/2011

Friday, October 21, 2011
I've had a busy week along the whole spectrum of fibery arts.

First, it was PhatFiber Box Drop Day last Saturday.  I contributed one of the ingredients to my Valerie's Miracle Scarf, with a code to get the whole pattern digitally.  My contributor's box came on Wednesday.   So much fluff to play with!  I'm trying to decide whether to spin them sequentially or to card them up into a monster batt.  Thoughts?


And then I finished up spinning my "Grapes of Wrath" braid from Knitty and Color.  This was a lovely BFL black with hot pink, purple, and some blues.  I originally was going to spin this pretty fine then ply it against itself, but I like it so much done as the laceweight single that I think I'll keep it this way.  No clue what the yardage on this is, as I'm letting it rest a while on the bobbin before skeining it up.  I bought a yarn meter from Nancy's Knit Knacks (which, incidentally, is headquartered not far from me!), and am hoping to use it on this yarn after it's blocked.  I'm hoping for enough for a small wrap or shawlette.  The colors in this photo aren't as bright as the actual yarn - gotta love evening light.

At the PhatFiber reunion a few weekends ago we all carded up some very special batts to sell for charity.  With the bitts off the lickers-in we made clouds to share with everyone.  Well, I dislike spinning very chunky crazy artyarns, so the prospect of working through the cloud was not appealing to me.  Louet Junior carder to the rescue!  My cloud fit perfectly on the carder, and now I have a lovely batt that I'll have fun spinning up in to a pretty single.  The idea is to knit the finished yarns into cuffs to wear at next year's reunion.

I've also been working on knitting - first it was finishing up a pattern and sample for Knitting Today!, then working on a new shawlette using Berroco Comfort Sock.  I'm designing that one on the fly, but am pretty happy with it so far.  It's done on the triangle shawl concept but will have a crescent shape.  I'm nearly up to the lace border, and am trying to figure out what to do for it.  I'm thinking a garter-based lace, though my friend R also suggested a dropstitch pattern...  Photos when it's photo-able.

0 comments:

Copyright Notice

All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.