Tour de Fleece Day 4

Tuesday, July 05, 2011
Today was a high-mileage day for me, in terms of number of batts spun.  Note that my carder puts out batts that I think are probably on the order of 1+oz, so these aren't huge amounts of fiber. 

First I plied the Fruitwood singles that have been hanging out on a bobbin for a while after the main part of them were plied with something else.  I used one of my favorite techniques on this one - I took the singles and wound them into a cake on my ball winder.  Then I plied the inside end against the outside end.  This gives me a two-ply skein that uses up all of the singles.  Very pretty result, I believe.  This is the plied yarn in the photo.

And then I decided to spin up what I thought was a primarily green batt that I'm thinking of using in the cousins' wedding hats (long story; more on that in a later post).  But when I opened it up I discovered a stripe of black somethingorother as well as a significant amount of pink hiding out in the middle.  So I went ahead and spun it - and LOVE it - and am trying to decide whether I want to ply it with the wedding hat fiber (which is coming soon!) or with something else.

By this time I'd gotten bit by the spinning bug du jour, so I decided to tackle those three pink batts that I'd like to ply together with a laceweight pink spindle-spun single from way way back.  I got two of the pink batts spun (one is thick & thin, lumpy and loopy, arty; the other is pretty smooth, generally a DK weight).  But then my flyer started getting hot and I thought perhaps setting my Babe on fire (or melting her) would slow me down in the long run so I stopped to take photos.  The pink is going to be PINK! and FLUFFY! and BULKY! when it's done - I can't wait!

1 comments:

  • FoFo

    Very pretty! You have a talent with that!

  • Copyright Notice

    All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.