Back in 2011, Review of 2010

Friday, December 31, 2010
I realize it's been months (months!) since I last blogged, and I apologize profusely to those of you who read the blog (even if that's in the past tense) and have wondered where I've been.  Really?  I've been here, doing the same old stuff, and just too lazy to write about it.  This post is going to be the typical review of my goals stated last January, and then I'll post later with goals for 2011. 

So here's what I said I would do:
Start wholesaling patterns to LYSes in the NC/VA/TN/SC area, with the aim of gradually expanding outside the immediate region. I don't really know how to do this, but I'm going to start by the end of the month.
The update here is that I've created a catalog of the 36 patterns currently available for wholesale, and am about 1/4th of the way through reformatting them for wholesale.  My goal is to send out mail to LYSes by the end of the month.  I think I've found a printer, and I got some good feedback from my LYSO, Mary, who also said she'd be placing an order!

Expand the pattern catalog to 36 patterns by June 30th. I'm currently at 30. I'd like to stick to a pace of 12 patterns a year self-published.
Check!  I'm actually up to 39 patterns at the end of 2010, with five nearly ready for the TE.  I should release those by Feb 1st 2011.

Submit 6 patterns to magazines, get 2 published.
Wow, this was a good year for me in the magazine publishing world - even though each rejection stung a lot, I had quite a few things accepted, including patterns for Twists & Turns, Yarn Forward, Interweave Knits, More Knitting in the Sun: Kids, Ennea Collective, Love of Knitting, Knitting Today!, and two of the Fresh Designs books

Submit 4 patterns to the KnitPicks Independent Designer Program and have 2 accepted.
Both of the patterns I submitted were published, and the Patchwork Tote has more than made back its advance.  I'm developing a bunch more to post in winter 2011.

Complete all the current WIPs (there are 6, I think).
Yeah. Let's move on, shall we?

Participate in at least 9 months of PhatFiber boxes. January is bookmarks!
I'm honestly not sure of how many I did.  Not 9, I fear. The problem with doing so many magazine patterns is that when I'm working on them I can't take time out for fun stuff like the PF patterns. 

Knit something for each member of the immediate family, including myself.
DH got a hat and cowl (the Jaume set), DD got mitts and a hat (pattern for the IDP), but I'm not sure if I made anything for the DS.  Hm.

Complete one gift a month.
Nope! See note about the PF patterns.

Complete two baby hats or one chemo cap a month (or other community knitting project of similar size).
Nope!  Though I did get a lot done, and since I'm on a hat jag a lot of the samples for patterns are going to the hospital.

Join the Association of Knitwear Designers.
I was welcomed as an associate member in December.  Yay!  Unfortunately the group has fewer online resources than I thought and seems to be going through some organizational angst, so we'll see how useful it will be to me.  I'm hoping to get involved in it and make some good connections in 2011.

I think I'll just put down the list of things I did accomplish in non-knitting, rather than admit to what didn't happen:
  • Clean out my house and give stuff to Goodwill or the ABC Sale. - Yep! Plus we gave a lot of the baby gear that the DS is too big for to a local support group.  There's a lot more in the garage that needs to be actually donated, but I'm feeling pretty good about the inside of the house.
  • Go out to Oregon to see Parallel (how does April sound, over our spring break?). - Yep! Plus, she and her fam came out to the East Coast for her sabbatical, so we got two visits this year.  Yay!
  • Get the roof replaced. Yay!  Also got the house painted - so it's not that nasty peachy white any more!
And of course, other fun stuff like I learned to spin on a wheel, went to a family reunion in Maine for a week and met all sorts of family I didn't know we had, the library merged with the main system on campus, etc.  It was quite a year.  I can't say I'm happy to see it end, but I'm not sad either.  On to 2011, I suppose.

1 comments:

  • Katherine

    You forgot to mention all the great tech editing you did in 2010!

    Thanks much. Hope you have a productive year. I will be interested in hearing about your wholesaling efforts.

  • Copyright Notice

    All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.