KnitCroBlo5: Location, Location, Location

Friday, April 30, 2010
Where do you like to indulge in your craft? Is your favourite arm chair your little knitting cubby area, or do you prefer to ‘knit in public’? Do you like to crochet in the great outdoors, perhaps, or knit in the bath, or at the pub?
Ha. I knit everywhere.  Except in the shower, and that's only because I'm so uncoordinated that I'd be seriously in danger of falling and hurting myself if I had to wrangle string.  I've had people see me in odd places and say, "Oh, you're the lady who knits on the bus/at the doctor's/while walking/at the pool/in faculty meetings/etc."  It might be easier to list the places where I do NOT knit:
  • On rollercoasters (too distracting)
  • In the shower and while swimming (too wet)
  • In the bathtub (mostly b/c our bathtub isn't worth taking a bath in, so I don't take baths)
  • In church (too many mean looks from other worshippers. I do knit during adult ed and before the service starts)
  • On the reference desk at the library (except for on holidays when no one is around. I got special permission for that)
  • While asleep (yet)
You will note that I have knit in the movies and at shows, while out to dinner (though generally not while having dinner at home, though that may change once the DS is able to feed himself), at the doctor's, while in labor (hard with an IV in your hand), while driving (if someone else is, usually), and while walking.  Lots of people comment on the knitting while walking thing, actually, which I find interesting because unlike walking while reading I can actually watch where I'm going b/c usually I'm not doing anything more complex than knit/purl.

My favorite spots to knit:
  • My blue chair.  It's a wing-back recliner, and I've loved it so much one of the elastic bands holding up the springs has snapped and I need to staple a new one in place.  I spent much of my last pregnancy in that chair.
  • Outside in one of the folding recliners my 'rents gave us for Xmas one year. Sun plus knitting = heaven.
  • At the pool. See above.  Must be something small and with metal needles so they fit in the bag but are ok getting wet. I do a lot of baby hats at the pool.
  • At baseball games. See above.  Generally I bring cotton washcloths to the baseball games b/c it's okay if they get beer on them.  See how much planning my life takes?
  • On the bus/while riding in a car. Otherwise I get terribly bored, fall asleep, and either don't manage to navigate (so we get lost) or miss my stop.
  • Out at Panera with my friends.  Actually, I had a great time sitting on my friend Mika's floor and knitting - I should have more knitins with people.

0 comments:

Copyright Notice

All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.