Knit & Crochet Week: An Inspirational Pattern

Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Blog about a pattern or project which you aspire to. Whether it happens to be because the skills needed are ones which you have not yet acquired, or just because it seems like a huge undertaking of time and dedication, most people feel they still have something to aspire to in their craft. If you don’t feel like you have any left of the mountain of learning yet to climb, say so!
Mostly I don't have a huge number of patterns that I'm hoping to do - perhaps because I have an overinflated sense of my own skills, and perhaps because I'm so busy working on things that I need to do right now that I don't take the time to explore other possibilities.  I do like to pick up new techniques, though, and so on the advice of the erstwhile roomie (Hi!) I did a Garterlac Dishcloth.  I learned a bit, and would like to do another one to work on it a bit more.  So, those of you who get Christmas presents from me, expect this cloth this year!

One pattern that I'd love to do sometime is the Hemlock Ring Blanket by Jared Flood.  It's just so gorgeous - I'm thinking of doing it in a slightly heavier yarn and perhaps with more repeats around the outside so that I can use it as an afghan for me.  We'll see if that ever happens, though!

Most of my challenges that I set for myself now actually come in the design arena - I can knit pretty much anything, it's the figuring out how to create something without a pattern and then follow it up by writing the pattern from scratch that can be really hard.  For example, I'd love to get a better handle on toys - how to put together the pieces so you end up with a stuffed creature that looks like something God created, not Dr. Frankenstein (though that would be cute too).  I'm also playing with different sleeve and neck styles to see what works and how garments can be pieced together at different sizes.

0 comments:

Copyright Notice

All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.