Olympics Knitting and Designing

Monday, February 22, 2010
It is so sweet to wander back to the blog after being away for a few weeks to kind comments wondering where I've gone!  We have been a house of pestilence this month - first the baby had a double ear infection, then the DH had something that was Probably Not Strep (though his tonsils were so swollen that the nurse wasn't confident she actually swabbed the back of his throat), then I had a migraine, then the baby's ear infection came back AND he had roseola, then the DD got a random cold.  Oi!  We're better now, and I hope manage to stay that way for a while.

Yesterday was the most beautiful day we've had so far in 2010 - in the mid-60sF, sunny, light breeze - and the kids and I spent several hours outside.  I made my first Lowes run of the year for mulch, seeds, plants, and some inside home improvement stuff.  It felt great to get my fingers dirty in the garden again after such a hard winter.  Of course then today it was in the 50s and rainy.  Blah.

I'm participating in the Ravelympics for the winter Games.  I have to admit - another reason I haven't posted lately is that I'm totally addicted to the Olympics.  Example: I hate curling.  I don't understand it, and it's very slow and dull.  But I think I've watched 6 hours of curling so far.  My favorite events, though, are the ones that have some artistry to them - the halfpipe was wicked awesome, the aerials are also cool, and right now I'm watching ice dancing.  I like it when people don't fall and get hurt!

For the Ravelympics I've been working on a shawlette done with 100% alpaca fingering from Mama Jude's Plant Dyed Stuff.  It's beautiful stuff, and oh so nice to knit with.  I'm also working on finishing up a bunch of WIPs - knitting, spinning, and designing - so look for a bunch of patterns to be released in the next few weeks once things get out of testing.  If you're in my Ravelry group, I'm soliciting testers for a wrap and a shawlette, and will be asking for testers for the alpaca shawlette as well as some pattern collections from the last year of Phat Fiber boxes.  I finished spinning a 4oz braid of merino - one of my first large-scale braids - and just have to get it set and skeined.  I'm also the co-captain of the Phat Fiber team.  Wow, it's been a productive couple of weeks!

1 comments:

  • EJ

    Glad you're all back to normal. And 60 degrees - what a fantasy. We're still stuck in storms. It's rainy right now, supposedly turning over to ice and snow later in the day. Sigh.

    I tried watching a smidge of curling (we could not get the audio though) so imagine what it is like trying to watch this with no commentary and no idea what is going on. It just looks like really advanced housekeeping by a lot of men! Send them to my house to clean the floors! But I did get my scarf blocked while it went on!

  • Copyright Notice

    All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.