WWKIP

Saturday, June 13, 2009
I always forget about World Wide Knit in Public Day (WWKIP Day), even though it's always the 2nd Saturday in June, I have the Yarn Harlot's calendar on which it is marked, I'm on several lists that announce gatherings, and I have a lot of knitting friends. True to form, I forgot about it this year until my erstwhile roomie mentioned that she'd just gotten back from her local event. I think part of my problem is that I often knit in public anyway - because I knit everywhere - and so it's not such a big deal to me to take my knitting somewhere public.

So here's where I knit today:
  • In the car on the way to the Durham Farmer's Market and Morgan Imports. I did not knit while wandering around the market because I was working on a baby hat on dpns, and I thought it might be challenging to handle those while carrying the baby and a bag of broccoli.
  • In my brother's back yard. He claims that law enforcement considers his yard public (long story involving his interesting neighbors with the mitotically dividing ice cream trucks). It was hot, and there were lots of flies, but I enjoyed hanging out with my sibs and their other next door neighbor (who is not nearly as interesting to the cops).
  • In the car on the way to and from my brother's house.
  • In my living room. Clearly not a public space, but necessary in order to finish the hat.
I'm nearly done with a group of six baby hats that I'm sending to a 10 year old kid near Charlotte who is collecting hats for his local children's hospital. The kid's mom put out a call for help on one of the big Ravelry boards, and now he's on track to get more than 500 hats in a month. I feel like my 6 is a paltry contribution, but it's all I've got time to do right now. Plus, 6 hats in a month is pretty good for me!

How did you celebrate knitting today?

0 comments:

Copyright Notice

All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.