Katherine Vaughan Designs now on Patternfish

Saturday, May 30, 2009
So, yeah, the title pretty much says it all. I'm gradually uploading my patterns to Patternfish, so those of you not in Ravelry (or who like PF better for pattern management) can find me there. Here's the direct link to my patterns.

What's Patternfish? Here's the blurb from their homepage: "Patternfish is an online store where you can buy or sell your knitting or crochet patterns as customized PDF downloads. That is all we do, and we want to be the best in the world at it." Patternfish has a bunch of things going for it - not least that they apparently scan in print-only patterns (particularly leaflets) and make them available in PDF format. This means that older patterns without digital equivalents can get scanned and sold. As a librarian, this makes me happy! Another key thing about Patternfish is that you have essentially your own library - so you can organize the patterns that you've purchased online and have access to them regardless of your physical location. Cool!

I joined Patternfish because I'm looking to expand the outlets for my patterns. You can now purchase from three places: Ravelry, Etsy, and Patternfish. Ravelry is my highest volume source (also the cheapest for me, which is good), followed so far by Etsy and Patternfish. However, in the last week I've already sold some patterns on PF, so that will probably end up being a close competitor to Etsy. Between the various random Etsy/PayPal fees and the hassle of having to email people the PDF patterns from Etsy sales, Patternfish comes out being pretty close in cost/sale compared to Etsy (I get 60% of every sale on PF).

I'm debating whether I want to start wholesaling to stores. I really don't want to have to deal with printing, though, so I've been holding back. Someday, maybe.

0 comments:

Copyright Notice

All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.