Design Story: Ribbon Cape Inspiration

Monday, February 16, 2009
For a while now I've had 6-7 skeins of Knit One Crochet Too Tartelette in my stash. I received it as yarn support for the driving scarf that I was designing for Kristi Porter's Knitting in the Sun - but it was too heavy for that particular purpose so I ended up using SWTC Bamboo instead. Which left me with the Tartelette.

Now, I really love Tartelette - it has a nice sheen but is also much softer than most ribbon yarns. It's pretty heavy, and the gloss tends to obscure knit/purl patterns. I really wanted to do something interesting with the yarn, but had to sit on it for a while before coming up with a solution.

That's part 1 of the inspiration: a large amount of yarn in my stash, and no clue what to do with it.

Here's part 2: I keep seeing lovely shawls and wraps all over the place, but none of them have a shape that I like. The shawls usually are triangular, which means they end up pointing right at the spot on my body that I'd rather people not get pointed to (that would be my behind). Actually, if there's a point in the front, too (like from the two ends), I get the double whammy - "look, here's my butt! and look, here's my tummy!" - which I really don't appreciate. Wraps I dearly love - but the "knit a rectangle until it's long enough/you run out of yarn" concept gets pretty old after a while.

So I wanted to come up with a shape that would function like a shawl/wrap and yet take care of the two negatives I have with shawls/wraps. That is, it would not have pointy bits, and it would have some shaping. But what to play with?

Voila! 7 skeins of Tartelette!

Next to come: how I worked with shaping...

0 comments:

Copyright Notice

All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.