We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal

Monday, January 19, 2009
Last week my daughter's preschool class talked about Rev. Dr. MLKing, Jr. (as, I assume, pretty much every preschool and grade school class did). When she came home Monday, we pulled up a YouTube video of the speech at the March on Washington in 1963. I realized that I had never seen the whole thing - just the last five minutes when he hits the "I have a dream..." section.

Here's one of the versions available on YouTube. Go watch it, I'll wait. It'll open in a new window.

My parents always tried to inculcate in us the "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged on the color of their skin, but on the content of their character." Hearing this, with my own little girl on my lap, made me cry. With relief? Hope? Where, exactly, are we now?

Today is the National Day of Service. I'm knitting baby hats for UNC Hospitals. What are you doing?

0 comments:

Copyright Notice

All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.