25 Things

Wednesday, January 28, 2009
There's a meme going around Facebook where you reveal 25 things about yourself that people might not know. Seeing as how I have professional colleagues and students in my Facebook friends, I think I'll put up my 25 things here rather than there. If colleagues and students are devoted enough to read my knitting blog, I have no real problem with them knowing random things about me and my knitting (because they already do!).

  1. My mother taught me to knit in 1985-86 when we were living in Germany. I have come to suspect that she was trying to keep me from driving her nuts.
  2. I didn't learn how to cast on until I was in my 20s. I had to get other people to cast on for me every time I wanted to start a new project. This severely limited my knitting for that 10 year period.
  3. Before I took up knitting in earnest (about 5 years ago), I did a lot of sewing and cross-stitch. When I got pregnant for the first time, I started to worry about little knees getting impaled on pins and needles, and decided that knitting was safer all told. After reading about the woman who tripped and stabbed herself in the heart with her wooden DPN, I'm starting to worry that I made the wrong choice. My family is, after all, descended from the guy who fell off the Mayflower in the middle of the Atlantic (but was rescued).
  4. I am a CYCA certified Knitting Teacher. I used to teach on a freelance basis at the local AC Moore.
  5. I taught my husband to knit in order to get that certification. He knit a dishcloth, declared himself "able to knit" and tore it out again. He now only touches yarn when he's moving it out of the way.
  6. I am in the process of teaching my 4yo to knit. Interestingly, she's much more patient about it than my husband, though less inclined to practice.
  7. Other than knitting, purling, and binding off, all of my knitting skills are self-taught.
  8. I didn't learn how to read a knitting pattern until a few years ago.
  9. Knitting skills and projects I have no interest in perfecting: Fair Isle. Steeks. Any sock heel other than short-rows. Lingerie. Curtains.
  10. Knitting skills and projects I will master this year: entrelac, gloves.
  11. I nearly never knit from another person's pattern, mostly because I never find one that has everything done the way I like to do things. It's just easier to make the pattern up myself.
  12. My first published pattern was Reduce Reuse Recycle in 2007. In 2007 I had two more patterns published in online mags; in 2008 I've had two patterns in books, three in a calendar, and one in a magazine. I've got a tentative agreement for another magazine, and am submitting patterns to several more this year.
  13. My real love is self-publishing, though. I now have 11 patterns for sale via Ravelry, and will be adding several more by March 1.
  14. According to Ravelry, I've made $616 in the last year from selling these 11 patterns. This has been entirely plowed into yarn.
  15. Speaking of yarn, Ravelry claims I have 282 skeins in my closet. This may be an underestimate.
  16. Also according to Ravelry, I have completed 100 projects since the summer of 2007. This is definitely an undercount, particularly since I've started grouping things like baby hats to save on effort.
  17. I have 6 known UFOs; two need felting, one needs seaming, two are actually being worked on actively, and one is on the naughty shelf for misbehaving.
  18. In the last 16 months I have knit somewhere around 30-40 hats for the UNC and Johns Hopkins NICUs. Total donations to the hospitals: 88, plus 3 waiting to be given away.
  19. I'm not actually a good person, I am really trying to balance out my karma. Plus, community knitting is a good way to keep knitting even when you don't have a specific person to knit for.
  20. I love being an academic librarian/professor, but I harbor a secret desire to pack it all in and go into knitting designing and teaching full-time. Ok, maybe not so secret.
  21. I dream of writing up pattern packs for all sorts of wacky patterns. What about a book of what to do with swatches? Or knitting without yarn? I feel comfortable releasing these ideas into the blogosphere because I know deep in my heart that I will never write either of those books. It is fun to dream, though.
  22. I don't like to knit with wool. It makes my hands hurt, it's itchy, and it's difficult to wash. I do love linen, though. I have seven storage bins for yarn: two have wool and wool blends, and the rest are full of plant fiber, silk, and synthetics.
  23. In my lifetime I have knit four items for myself: a scarf (1985, now lost), a cozy for my Swiss Army knife (1985, cozy is lost but knife is not), a felted knitting bag, and the Reduce bag. Everything else is knit for other people.
  24. High point of the last year: Cat Bordhi admired my Reduce bag at the student banquet on the last night of Stitches East. None of my friends understand why this is so exciting.
  25. Another high point of last year: I joined a knitting group. It's a great group, with women from several decades (most are younger than me), and a variety of living, lifestyle, and career situations. In the last year we've faced one wedding, two divorces, several breakups and hookups, one pregnancy (mine), a few fairly serious medical conditions, new pets, new career directions, and lots of knitting. In this whole time Marnie has yet to complete a project. This is a point of much ribbing (ha ha) on my part. Luv ya, Marnie.

And that's 25. :) I may come back to put in hyperlinks later, but right now it's off to bed.

1 comments:

  • Dorothy

    I bet if there was a book of what to do with swatches, I might actually swatch on a regular basis!

    I'm tired of being pregnant - are you?

  • Copyright Notice

    All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.