A look back at 2008 resolutions

Wednesday, December 31, 2008
I figure the last day of the year is a good time to take stock of whether I reached my goals/resolutions for 2008. So here goes:

1: Decrease stash to 100ish by end of February: Oh, I honestly don't know if I reached that goal. But I was pretty close.

2: Purchase yarn only for known projects: Yeah, this worked well for the first half of the year, but then Knit a Bit went out of business so I had to buy up 75% off yarn, and then I went to Stitches, took a pilgrimage to Webs, and my SIL gave me a Webs gift certificate for Xmas. That accounts for about 100 skeins of projectless yarn. :) I've decided to let go of my stress over the stash. It is what it is, and it all fits perfectly well in the closet, so why worry? I could have a much more expensive hobby - like, ahem, Sailing? - and other people benefit from it, so I can deal. Plus, the pattern writing supports most of the purchases, so it's not even hurting the household economy.

3: Pattern writing: 2 patterns published in books, 1 published in Yarn Magazine, 1 written for an indy dyer, 5 new patterns posted for sale via Ravelry, 2 MagKnits patterns rewritten and posted for sale on Ravelry, plus 4 new free patterns on this blog and 1 on the 20 Hats Project blog (which is now largely defunct, sigh). That's 11 new for sale patterns plus 5 new free patterns. I have a bunch more in the works that would have gotten written up (4 patterns for Stitchjones, 1 alpaca hat, 1 baby blanket, 1 bowl, etc.) had I not been so sick over the summer.

4: Knit from books: Miserable failure. Oh well. But I did reorganize and relocate the books so that they're more accessible. Also, I weeded a few.

5: Make 2 preemie hats a month: Two parts to this answer. In September I took 57 hats to UNC Hospitals, and in December I gave 10 to Johns Hopkins. So the sum of hats collected was 67 (or about 5 1/2 per month). Of these I think I made about 22 - so I would call this goal reached. Yay!

6: Write thank you notes: More or less accomplished successfully. I'm writing this year's Christmas thank yous on Friday while working at the library's desk all day by my lonesome.

7: Lose 15 pounds: I lost 5, and then gained 30. But the 30 is related to one of the other goals, so it's ok.

8: House stuff: Replacing the a/c took precedence over getting the outside painted and the bathroom redone. But this year we'll have the outside redone, and maybe the roof replaced. I did paint the guest room and (with the husband and Mom's help) created and planted the front bed. It's a bit embarrassing that we're almost at two years of naked trim in the powder room. I may have to just do that this weekend.

9: Clean out the house: Check!

10: In progress, check back in March!

0 comments:

Copyright Notice

All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.