Random (or not so random) acts of kindness

Wednesday, June 25, 2008
I've been thinking a lot about the things we do to/for each other that are kind vs. not kind. This may be because I'm smarting from being the victim of a random act of meanness (i.e., having my car molested). Also, I've done some things lately that I wouldn't normally do, largely because I felt I had to. I visited my friend Mudge the week she died, to say goodbye, and took photos of the DD to show off how big she's gotten. I saved the world's largest snapping turtle by shooing it out of the road (I'm telling you, it was bigger than a dinner plate. Bigger than my laptop. It was effing HUGE!). Today I went over to the hospital to visit one of the DD's teachers who is in for a systemic infection.

So you can see why I've been feeling good about my karma lately. And then today I get spam comments on my blog. This wee thing, even! Oi.

So, to make myself feel better I just ordered some bulky wool/acrylic yarn to make hats for homeless vets. This is a project of the Ravelry Knitters for Barack Obama (Ravelry link). We're trying to send 100 hats/scarves/washcloths to shelters in several states this fall. I'm lobbying for North Carolina to be one of the states - it all depends on how many people sign up and knit stuff.

Also, I'm having a party on Saturday to talk about politics and knitting. It's a "Unite for Change" house meeting, sponsored by the Obama campaign. If you're in the NC Triangle area and want to come, leave me a comment and I'll send you the info.

Copyright Notice

All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.