Anyone seen my catalytic converter?

Saturday, June 21, 2008
Yesterday we were supposed to go to a baseball game with the church choir. I was all excited about it - as were the DD and the DH - and so I left work a little early to pick up the preschooler in time to meet J at home, change, and head off to the game so we could hear (and sing over) the anthem. This was not to be.

On the bus I ran into my friend D (who also has a child in preschool), and we decided to walk from the parknride over to preschool, get the girls, then walk back to our cars. It was a nice night, and the girls really enjoy this. We noticed a remarkably strong police presence in the parking lot, but just figured they were ticketing people without permits. Why they would do this at the END of the day, and on a Friday in the summer, don't ask me, it's the excuse I came up with.

OK, getting the girls went fine, we got back fine, D went off with her kid, M and I get in the car.

I turn on the engine. Really horrible noise coming from below me. I freak, and turn off the car. I sit for a moment. I turn it on again, noise still there. I think "I need to call AAA!" We drive the 1/3mile to preschool, and I proceed to make the first of about a dozen phone calls (to J!). Poor DD was totally freaked out by this.

It's not until the tow truck driver arrived that we found out that the catalytic converter (Wikipedia article) had been cut out of the bottom of my car. Apparently I drive a car that is a prime target for CC thieves, who knew? The driver said we were the fourth car THAT DAY that he'd towed from our lot for this reason, and that he knew of 15 that had been stolen at one of the Duke lots this week. Apparently we've been the victims of serial theft.

Ick, and it's going to take a while to get it fixed, so now we're down to one car. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but the DD has swim lessons next week and so we're going to have to figure out how to get J home from Raleigh in time to pick up the DD and myself in Chapel Hill so we can be in Durham by 6pm. I'm choosing to think of this as a: bonding time and b: an experiment in one-car driving for if gas goes over $5/gallon. Also, thank God for car insurance - we only have to pay the deductible, and Allstate will cover the rest.

We did get to the ballgame, and I was able to relax a bit with a beer, baseball, and my knitting. I'm working on a swatch for a mercerized cotton hat, sized for baby/child/adult. Idea is to use it as a standard "charity" (I hate that term) pattern. It's cute, a bit more challenging than normal ribbing, but still pretty easy.

2 comments:

  • Antevasin

    I like to believe the thieves' karma will come back and bite them in the @ss. Even so, the positive side of your misfortune is you still have your car, and you or nobody else got hurt. Thank God!

  • Copyright Notice

    All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.