Dishcloth Topic #6: Other people's happy days

Wednesday, February 27, 2008
Here's this week's Dishcloth exchange topic:

For this week, go through those who've commented on last week's topic - find someone who had an idea on their day that sounded appealing to you, as well, and tell us why, or what appealed to you, and link to their blog! If you can't find someone who has a day you think you'd enjoy, find one that you thought was interesting, odd, or funny in some way, and talk about it!
I read through everyone's happy days - and found two that resonated with me. This may be
because this past weekend was fairly nice in North Carolina, and so I actually
did some of the things that other people said they'd do.

First up, on Saturday the DD and I went to the NC Museum of Natural Sciences for the day (including lunch at the museum cafe), then napped (me on the couch), then my friend B came over for us to celebrate her b'day. This is close to what Dorothy had in mind - we didn't go to the zoo, as I had thought we might, largely because the DH was home sick (with stress) and I didn't feel like driving for 90mins each way, and we avoided the park because it had rained recently and everything was still pretty wet.

Then on Sunday I pretty much followed Criquette's day - I filled up several buckets full of dead foliage (largely the gladioli and geraniae) and weeds (mostly from the veg garden), peeked at the croci (blooming), daffodils (budding), and hyacinths (just showing leaves). We planted snow pea and sugar snap pea seeds (inside) the previous weekend, and have sprouts. I'm hoping that this weekend the weather will be nice enough that we can plant them outside - but first I have to transplant some vines that were heeled into the veg garden for the weekend. I also need more soil and mulch for the veg garden... and need to transplant the daylilies that were "heeled in" in the winter of 2006! All that gardening this weekend has had an unintended consequence - my hamstrings are aching!

The poem Digging (by Seamus Heaney) is one of my all-time favorites. I always feel a longing for the soil when I read it. Somehow this is something I think of every time I go out for the midwinter gardening.

I made a swatch yesterday for yet another secret project. Now all that's left for it is to draw up the proposed shape/sketch for the project and send it off for consideration. The downside to all this proposal development is that I keep buying yarn and only swatching it - waiting for the all clear to actually knit it up... but after this project (and maybe one or two others) I've got some actual things that I want to make as well as send off - so will get some real knitting in.

3 comments:

  • Robert

    I memorized "Digging" in my youth, so I would always have it with me. I agree about longing for the soil.

  • I always love museums of natural science! Well, really, I love almost all museums.

    Sounds like a fun day!

    Your Dishcloth Pal

  • insanknitty

    Ok KT, WHERE do you live??? We moved in July from Raleigh to PA... we visited that museum at least monthly.. it's great isn't it!
    :-)

  • Copyright Notice

    All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.