On Soap...

Tuesday, January 29, 2008
My dishcloth pal (Hi!) requested a monologue on soap and its many uses... here goes.

In our house we mainly use soaps for handwashing - at the kitchen sink and in the bathrooms. As such, we like smaller soaps that are good for small hands to use - and I particularly like things with shapes (because they amuse preschoolers) or with other texture. All of us have dry skin - and some have eczema - so something with a high milk or other moisture-happy content is always welcome. Since I'm a gardener, the soaps in the kitchen and downstairs bath in particular get heavy use from washing off garden grit etc.

I'm not one for heavy floral scents in my soaps, though I do like milk, oatmeal, etc. additives. I like vanilla and lavender, too, as well as some of the citrusy and cucumber scents. We're blue people - the kitchen and baths are all blue or green/blue - so that's a good guide for the color (though that's about the least important thing, really). In the bathroom the soap dish is shaped like a fish!

For bathing, J uses Dial (and no one will ever manage to break him of that habit, so don't even try). I use shower gel, and the DD uses bubble bath. When she showers she'll sometimes use "Daddy soap" (orange, thus appealing) or a lavender soap that we've had for years. It was molded in the shape of a hedgehog and is gradually becoming worn down - it's the weirdest shape right now.

Dishes are washed with liquid soap. We've put it into the liquid hand soap dispenser that is integrated with our kitchen sink - after all, if you're that desperate for something to wash your hands with, it doesn't really matter if it's dish detergent, does it? I believe we subscribe to the "what's on sale" method of detergent aquisition.

2 comments:

  • wildflower38

    I'm a blue lady too. On Sunday, I painted my bedroom a light light blue
    and bought a new blue comforter, sheets and a blanket. My friend is making me blue curtains.

    Lavender is a very soothing scent.

  • Why, thank you so much for your soap monologue! It has been read VERY carefully and will be closely considered when selecting the soap for your package.

    Your Dishcloth Swap Pal

  • Copyright Notice

    All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.