Hands, don't fail me now!

Thursday, January 10, 2008
Apparently all that Christmas knitting has taken its toll... my hands (specifically, my knuckles) are aching like all get out. Obviously I've overdone things! This week I'm taking it easy - did absolutely no knitting on Monday and Tuesday, but yesterday I couldn't handle it any more so I worked a bit on the sleeve of the latest sweater for the DD. It's knit in the round on dp's, and I think they're harder on my hands than flat knitting or even circulars in the round.

Of course, since I can't knit I can't work from the stash... so in a twisted bit of logic I decided to go on a yarn splurge (also, I had a Really Bad Weekend and then the DD got sick, so I've had very little sleep). I think I bought about 27 skeins from Knit Picks, Elann.com, and Webs by the time I was done... so much for this quarter's stashbusting goal. Oh well, I'm not going to complain about it - and everything has a project in mind!

You know it's bad when I leave my knitting at home and read on the bus. What am I reading? Native Tongue by Suzette Haden Elgin. It's a bit weird so far (though what did I expect? the tagline on the cover is "The feminist science fiction classic"), but I was promised there'd be knitting eventually. I'm only in the first chapter, and it always takes a while to get going with something new and challenging.

Any good remedies for sore joints from knitting? I'm already taking acetaminophen and trying to rest...

1 comments:

  • kaykatrn

    Heat, then ice. Every four hours Then heat at bedtime. Anti-inflamatories if you can take them. Even Icy-Hot kind of products help, rub it on, then wrap a towel around it for a while. Ask a Chiropractor or Physical Therapist to do ultrasound--that feels really good. Hope you feel better. Those are my solutions. All are better than not knitting!

  • Copyright Notice

    All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.