Dishcloth Exchange Topic #2

Monday, January 28, 2008
It's a good thing that Holly & Anne are posting topics for the dishcloth exchange, else I would be seriously ignoring the blog. Here's this week's topic:
There are many people who ADORE receiving hand-knit or crochet items; but there
are just as many who have no appreciation whatever of how much love, work, and
time goes into a hand-made item. Share a story of a hand-made gift you gave to
someone and how it worked out - good, bad, or ugly!
I'm lucky that most of the people I knit for are appreciative of my handknits. I've never gotten the "oh, look. handmade crap." response that it seems a lot of other people face. Then again, I don't knit for people who I know won't appreciate the knit item - either because they don't wear knit stuff (Dad - and then I just knit something he will appreciate, like baby hats or the coffeepot cozy), or because they aren't that close and/or have a bad attitude about any gift. As I've mentioned before, I'm just as likely to get irritated by a bad response to a purchased gift as to a handmade gift!

This means that most of my bad gift moments have been MY fault, not the fault of the receiver. The most notorious one is that I'm apparently incapable of knitting things to fit my friend S. First I made her a hat that is so big she wears it OVER another hat when she's truly cold (mainly for sleeping, the hat I made is "safety orange" so doesn't exactly match most of her wardrobe. That's another story). I possibly should have checked gauge on that one. Then I made a pair of socks that she wears as slippers. She claims to love them, but I have my doubts. I sense that she loves me, and loves to wear the slippers because they reminder her of me. ;) Luckily, for Xmas this year I made her a Hannah hat that fits... except that it's too short to cover her earlobes. I'm trying to get her to ship it back to me so I can attach earflaps. That hat matches the sock/slippers and the flowered hair elastic, and I've got a tiny amount left to turn into something random for her for a pick-me-up in the spring.

Good moments? My MIL loves the scarf I made for her this year - even though it's all curled up and refuses to block. My Dad teared up (several times) over the 21 hats we gave him for the 20 Hats Project (I made 14 of them!). J, B, and R all love their Jayne hats, and M adores her mittens on a string. On the whole, it was a good season for Xmas gifts - they all seem to have gone over well - and they all actually fit for once!

2 comments:

  • It's good to have friends who love us enough to love our gifts - even if they're not perfect!

    Your Dishcloth Swap Pal

  • wildflower38

    I love my tote!

    I've only posted twice this month on my blog. I'm sitting on the winter dishcloth swap and it sucks. Ya'll are having fun.

  • Copyright Notice

    All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.