Dishcloth Exchange Topic #1

Friday, January 18, 2008
I have strep. It sucks. First the DD was sick for a week, then I got a cold, then the DH got strep, then I got strep, now we're waiting for the inevitable - the DD to get it too. And over the holiday weekend, even. Blah. Tomorrow I'm supposed to go to the North Carolina Science Blogging Conference - which I've been looking forward to for months - but if I feel as bad as I do today, that's just not going to happen. It hurts to swallow. Wah.

Don't forget my contest, closing Friday the 25th.

This is why I've been awol from la blog for a while. Thank goodness for Holly and Anne at the Defeat the Winter Doldrums Dishcloth Exchange for prodding my behind into action! Here's this week's topic:

Dishrag. Dishcloth. Face cloth. I've seen folks get all fired up in forums when someone refers to their knit or crochet creation as a dishrag, as that's somehow offensive to them! When you're working on yours, what do you call them? Also, is there a difference between a dishrag and a dishcloth? How bout a facecloth? Are they all really the same thing?
I usually refer to these things as "washcloths" - a nice, neutral middle ground. Since I almost exclusively use them for washing my body rather than my dishes, I don't usually think of them as "dishcloths". Somehow "dishrag" seems like it's more appropriate for the linen cloths that I use for drying - and that are truly ragged - while facecloth seems both too specific (mine is used on, ahem, other bits too) and somehow "regional" (though I don't know which region).

Ooh, really interesting post about the difference between "flannel" and "washcloth" at separated by a common language. There's some discussion in the comments about "facecloth" - with the consensus seeming to say that it's an Irish/Scots/Britishism.

I'm a process knitter. I just like to knit. What happens to my knit creation once I'm done with it and have given it away is not really my business. I believe this is why I have to stay out of forum threads where people bitch about how their [insert relation] doesn't appreciate the [insert type of knit gift] the knitter made for her/him/them for [insert gift-giving occasion] - to me, it hurts equally if she doesn't appreciate the book I spent hours picking out for her on Amazon as it does if she disses my knitting (by the way, D, I'm not by any means accusing you of dissing my knitting. When I need a lift I think about the three times - and counting! - that you've raved about that scarf!).

I guess when I knit up a wash/dish/face cloth/rag for someone else I just want it to be acknowledged and used. What you use it for (my aunt J thought the washcloth I gave her for Christmas - wrapped around a bar of soap, no less - was a potholder) is not my concern. Same goes for hats (or toques, or tams, or whatever), scarves, mittens, bowls, etc.

We don't actually do much washing of dishes in the sink. Well, truth be told, I do NO washing of dishes in the sink unless forced to do so. We have one of those sponges on a soap-filled stick thingies that allow you to wash without actually touching the sponge. Which reminds me, I have to go empty the disher - we're out of bowls and I want some soup.

6 comments:

  • km

    Maybe a bit of potential good news. M and I shared strep awhile back and the kiddos didn't get it. The Dr. said something about it usually occuring in kids over 5...Or something like that. And I think your DD is younger...so hope that works in your favor.

  • KT

    Well that's good news! Let's keep our fingers crossed!

  • Criquette

    Hi! Found your blog from the Winter Doldrums swap. while looking around, found your pattern for the Conehead baby hat. I can't wait to try it out - thanks in advance.

  • Christina

    Sorry you're under the weather. Probably not a good idea to venture out tomorrow if you're still so sick. We'll miss you.

  • Hello from your Dishcloth Swap pal! I'm a little nervous knitting for someone who writes their own patterns....I have made note that you tend to use them for washcloths, and will choose my yarn accordingly.

    I hope you have a truly wonderful day - and that you feel better soon!

  • coturnix

    We missed you. I hope you are feeling better now.

  • Copyright Notice

    All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.