World AIDS Day

Saturday, December 01, 2007
In honor of World AIDS Day (every December 1st), I am wearing my favorite red sweater. Today I'll think about how lucky I am, in many things including my (general) health. And I'll make a contribution to Doctors Without Borders (Medecins Sans Frontieres), the Nobel Prize-winning group that takes care of people in areas where less brave people are afraid to go.

Today's knitting is all for charity - I'm working on preemie hats. Did you know that even in the United States we continue to have babies born with HIV/AIDS? These children did nothing wrong - other than be born - and yet they'll have to live with this disease for their entire lives.

This is not to forget all the other diseases that kill millions every year - cancer, heart disease, diabetes, TB, malaria... it's hard to see what one person can do - and yet so important that every person try to do SOMETHING. So, I attempt to tithe, and I knit preemie hats. What do you do? What are you going to do TODAY?

0 comments:

Copyright Notice

All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.