Emailed holiday "cards"

Friday, December 21, 2007
This year I decided to send a holiday "hi!" to people by email rather than sending paper cards. Honestly, I did this for several reasons: 1: It's a pain (literally) to write something interesting to 70 different people. 2: It costs money to buy cards (and I hate the ones we got on sale years ago). 3: Postage is ridiculous! 4: Why add that much more waste to the landfill (or even to the recycling stream)? 5: It takes a long time, and I need to be knitting, particularly since most of the people that are on my cards list never bother to send ME a card.

So I just sent 70 emails to friends and family, with a family photo attached. With the money I saved (which I estimate at about $60) I'll make a donation to Habitat for Humanity. It's enough for almost two boxes of roofing shingles... or a low-flow toilet and some change. ;)

What would you think if you were one of my recipients? Am I being way too weird?

2 comments:

  • Marlyn

    I think it's a great idea. I wish I could convince DH that it's the way to go.

  • Alison

    Hey, I got your card yesterday and loved it. Great idea! I can always print it out and stick it to the mantel :). As one of those who doesn't send cards (busy-ness plus lack of kids to send a cute picture of), I don't mind at all :).

  • Copyright Notice

    All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.