November Knitting Roundup

Friday, November 30, 2007
This month was pretty productive for me - nothing like Christmas knitting deadlines to whip my butt into shape!

Skeins knit: 11.4 Note: pictures and links will be coming as soon as the photographer comes home...
2 skeins cotton: 3 washcloths (Mandarin Lemon, Open Hourglass, Waffle Stitch)
3 skeins Lamb's Pride Bulky: 3 Jayne Hats
2 skeins Patons Divine: Fluffy Hug Wrap
2 skeins Cotton Ease: scarf and 2 baby hats
1 skein Lamb's Pride Worsted: 3 felted bowls/baskets
1 skein Wool-Ease: basic men's mittens
0.4 skeins Sassy Stripes: mittens

Skeins given away: 5.6 (in my blogiversary contest)

Skeins purchased: 2 (from the Mass Audubon Drumlin Farm - how do you pass up wool from sheep you've just met?)

Which comes to a running total of 15 skeins destashed for the current period (which ends January 31st)! The goal is 20 skeins destashed over the whole November-January quarter.

My further plans for Christmas, etc., knitting should take up 10 more skeins (blanket, hats, mittens). And then I have another baby blanket to knit - but I'll probably have to purchase new yarn for this, as I am pretty much out of green. I may be able to use the leftover from A's blanket (I have 6 skeins and will only need 4) but that will make it tight. On the other hand, H's blanket will be a half-sized one, so possibly I'll get away with using just the two of the Cotton-Ease. That stuff has amazing yardage!

I have decided that next year I'll be moderating my stashbusting goals a bit. Instead of trying to get rid of a specific amount, I'll be focusing on limiting my purchasing to yarn needed for known projects with a cast-on date of less than a month in the future. I will, of course, also be working away on my stash, but with a bit less stress. We'll see if it works.

The other goal I'm setting for myself is to knit from the books I own. In entering my library into Ravelry I realized that I have a lot of knitting books. About half are stitch pattern/technique books (which get used pretty regularly already), a sixth are knitting essay/humor books (Yarn Harlot, etc), and the remaining third are complete garment pattern books. Of this last third, I have used maybe one or two to knit a complete pattern all the way through - most have been used as references and idea tomes. My feeling is, if I don't actually use a pattern from a book within the 2008 year, I should sell/give away that book. It's clearly not doing me any good on my shelves and should go find a forever home that will love it. So, 2007 was "Knit from Your Stash." 2008 will be "Knit Using Your Books."

0 comments:

Copyright Notice

All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.