Loopy Hat Topper

Sunday, October 28, 2007
I knit a lot of hats, and most of them are fairly uninteresting as far as the body goes. Unless you get into cabling, there's a limit to the variety of ribbing and such that you can do in a child's hat. To alleviate boredom, I've started playing with different ways of forming the crown and of creating hat toppings.

Thus was born the loopy hat topper.

It's very simple, actually:

Work hat according to whatever pattern you choose (bottom up), including forming the crown decreases.
Instead of cutting a tail and threading it through the remaining stitches, decrease the crown in one last row down to 3 stitches.
Work I-cord using these 3 stitches for 36in (90cm).
Bind off I-cord, leaving a long tail (at least 8in (20cm).
Attach loose end of I-cord to base of cording (at top of hat).
Mark off six 6in (15cm) sections of the I-cord, using waste yarn, markers, safety pins, whatever.
Using tail yarn, secure I-cord to hat (arranged roughly symmetrically around base).
Sew remaining tail to inside of hat.

1 comments:

  • this is so cute! My mother wanted a hat pattern to knit so I was browsing. Not really her style, but even she agreed it was so very cute for a child. Keep up the good work.

  • Copyright Notice

    All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.