Dishcloth Exchange Topic #5

Tuesday, October 16, 2007
So I've been very lax about keeping up with the various contests at the Fall into Autumn Dishcloth Exchange and SP 11 - and by the way, thanks to my various secret pals! I'll have photos up soon - and can only explain (poorly) that I've been sick and traveling. I'm not yet fine (and not done traveling) but will be by November.

The latest Dishcloth Exchange topic is:
"Now that it is getting cooler here, it makes me think of apple picking and hay rides. Are you the type that likes to go to participate in all the fall festivities like apple picking, pumpkins, decorating for the fall, hay rides, baking fall goodies, etc. or do you just sit and count the days till Thanksgiving/Christmas/Hanukkah?"
I don't really decorate for fall. We do purchase pumpkins (three, one for each of us) and carve them - but won't bother getting them until the weekend before Halloween. We wait for several reasons, not the least of which are squirrels, ants, and (icky!) slugs, and also because we like getting them from the Farmer's Market on Saturdays. I do own a cornucopia and some fake fruit, but since we don't host Thanksgiving here it rarely gets put out. I have fond memories of raiding the fridge with my brother to see what kind of weird produce we could tuck into the cornucopia as a kid - one year we nearly got an onion in there!

Mostly in this part of the fall I like to work in my garden - the mums are blooming and this is usually the best time to plant. However, since we have less than 4 months of water reserves right now (pray for rain!) in my town and are down to a 4-hour weekly watering allowance, I'm thinking I'll be mostly weeding and mulching rather than putting in new stuff. This is our dry season, which is not helping our 100-year drought...

I did go apple picking once, up in MA, but there's not much opportunity for that down here. Actually, since it's going to be in the 80sF all week, we just don't have that same nip in the air. It would be hot and sticky and I'd probably get bit by mosquitoes. The state fair is on this week, we'll have to see if we manage to go.

I do like to plan for Thanksgiving and Christmas, though. Will have to think about pies for Christmas dinner - and I do like to decorate for that holiday. It involves furniture moving, so is a pretty big deal!

0 comments:

Copyright Notice

All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.