Dishcloth Swap Topic #1

Tuesday, September 11, 2007
In an effort to get us all blogging, the hostesses of this season's dishcloth exchange are having us post answers to topics every week. I figure, I always need interesting things (other than rants) to blog about, so why not? The topic this week is:
"Now that in some geographic locations the weather is starting to turn cooler, do you change the type of yarn(s) you knit/crochet with? If so, what do you now knit/crochet with instead and why? If not, why do you not switch and what do you knit/crochet with?"
I have to admit, I pretty much use the same stuff all year round. However, I am trying to transition to pretty much non-wool things, for several reasons:
  1. I'm allergic to animal fibers, so can't wear things I make out of those, and neither can my husband or child, for fear I won't be able to touch them.
  2. Both of my parents are rabidly allergic to wool.
  3. North Carolina is like a little heaven for moths. Nice and warm, all year round. Thus, one has to do way too much anti-moth work both before knitting and after.
  4. Who needs that extra warmth here? We're actually pretty happy with cotton and acrylic, thank you.
  5. I like a challenge, and finding interesting non-wool yarns is quite that!

I ran into some SWTC Bamboo while LYS-hopping in Greensboro with my friend E. Very excited about it - may make socks for myself and the DD out of it. How cute would that be. I got the "serendipity" colorway, which pretty much sums up both my knitting and my yarn acquisition habits. The other thing about my knitting is that I try to work on Christmas projects throughout the year - so could be making mittens in August, you never know. They would still probably be cotton!

Also, since I know you are all wildly fascinated with my ongoing destashification, I put 9 full and 4 partial skeins up on eBay today. I'm finally at the point where I'll give (ok, sell) yarn to strangers just to get it out of the house! So far this month I've completed two chemo caps, a child's hat, two dishcloths, three bookmarks (and finally finished that skein of Grace!), a little bag for felting, and a tam. And I gave some skeins to my Secret Pal. It comes to 7.5 skeins gone before the eBay stuff, which will hopefully sell, or 18.5 skeins once that stuff sells. I did buy 2 skeins this week. Add in the paltry 1 skein net loss for last month (the extra .25 got included in the Grace that I'm counting this month), and I'm at 17.5 skeins so far this period! Yay!

0 comments:

Copyright Notice

All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.