Argh, bad yarn karma day

Sunday, September 09, 2007
So last night I snuggled into my favorite recliner (it's one of those that looks like a wing chair, but then you push on the arm and - pop! - up comes the footrest) in front of the boobtube, ready for a night of knitting and mindless TV. Apparently neither was to be.

I'm trying to make a few small things to send off for my last Swap-Bot swaps. I was thinking, maybe a small felted purselet out of about 1/3 skein of Patons Wool, and a bookmark. How hard could that be? Let's talk about the purse first.

I'm doing this in the leftovers from the Patchwork Tote and the 40 Years bowl. A pretty natural beigy with the slightly wild variegated pink/red/brown... It should be cool. I got the strap done (note: when working with limited yarn, always do the strap first lest you run out after only 3 inches). I first decided to do the standard knit-a-rectangle-and-fold-in-thirds bag, a la the Felted Flap Bag. Because I am too something to just do plain ol' stripes, I tried three - THREE - different stitch patterns to shake things up a bit. I hated all three, so I ripped it out three times. I then thought, well, I'll do it in the round. As if that would help. Needless to say, two stitch patterns later I'd ripped it out twice again. I have now rewound the yarn into balls and put them in the Time Out Spot.

Then I thought, OK fine, I'll do the bookmark. I picked out a pattern from BW1 (Wave and Shield), and cast it on. Decided I liked the pattern in theory, but wanted to shift the repeat over so that instead of having the middle of the "shields" be the ends, I would have the middle of the "waves" on the ends. This sounds nice in theory, but in reality it looks like butt. I did not discover this until after I charted out the pattern in my handy-dandy knitting notebook while watching Torchwood on BBCAmerica. Let me tell you, it's hard to focus on charting out knitting patterns when you're constantly distracted by the delectable Captain Jack. (Mmm, Captain Jack). So. After spending a good half hour charting, and then casting it on again, I found that the pattern was all wonky in reality at the bottom, made the world's worst bookmark, and did not deserve to be worked in even a full repeat. And yes, I ripped it out.

That's seven ripped out beginnings for one evening. I knit for two solid hours, and had nothing to show for it. Ok, I did have a reworking of the Wave & Shield to shift the repeat over seven stitches. If anyone is dying for that chart/pattern, let me know and I'll rip the page out of my notebook and send it to you (since I never want to see it again).

This morning I cast on the bookmark again - with a different pattern - and even though it's not the best bookmark ever it'll be finished this evening whether I like it or not. I just can't take it any more! And I have a new idea for the purse - still involving flat knitting but this time with a twist (or rather, a fold) to the construction. We'll see how it turns out. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  • Hi there, I had the same problem last week at knit group but mine was too much talking and not enough knitting or at least paying attention to what I was knitting. I do a lot of casting on and messing up and rip rip rip. I must try the "time out" spot for the bad yarn and make it visable for the rest of the stash so it can be used as an example. :) Your SP

  • KT

    I think we're all just very lucky that my dd was asleep and I was at home, so no one impressionable or easily offended heard my poor language. And I didn't have the excuse of either good conversation or good liquor! :)

  • Alison

    Forgot to comment on this when I saw it, but I was knitting to Torchwood too! Cap'n Jack is OK, but I prefer The Doctor (current incarnation). Mmm!

  • Copyright Notice

    All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.