The Purpose of Destashification

Monday, August 27, 2007
So in the post just after (before? so confusing) this one, my Secret Pal asks why I'm destashing... I think partly tongue-in-cheek, but it bears asking nonetheless.

Dear Secret Pal, never fear, I am not getting rid of stuff JUST to make room for whatever you send. (Though it helps!) ;)

There are two big reasons why I am getting rid of stash:

1: I have a lot of yarn that is cheap, used for something else, or basically useless. Like many people, I have spent much time (and money, unfortunately) in the yarn sections of AC Moore, Michaels, and Joann. This means I have a fair amount of some pretty disturbing yarns, including fur, weird boucles, and supersaver acrylic. While I have no moral problem (oops, nearly wrote "beef" there - that would've been ironic, eh Cass?) with acrylic, I do recognize that a nicer yarn (even if it is still acrylic) is much more fun to work with. Also, there are the inevitable extra/partial skeins left over from FOs that either need a new home or need to be turned into something. So, reason #1: To use up/get rid of the cheap/stale stuff to make physical and emotional space for good yarns.

2: Last fall I decided it was time to tidy up the stash. It had been in one giant plastic bin and several smaller bins, and piles around the house, and in a cabinet... you get the idea. I bought two of those large stacking 3-drawer "systems" at Lowes and proceeded to try to stuff (in some semblance of order, remember, me=librarian) the yarn collection into the six drawers. Actually, into five drawers, with UFOs in the bottom one. The original idea was to have yarn in four drawers, WIPs/UFOs in one, and FOs in another. This was nowhere near likely last fall; even now, after having cleared approximately 30 skeins (20%?) out of the stash since January, I can close the drawers, and have pretty much cleaned out the UFOs... but I've got a ways to go before the FOs can move off a shelf and into a drawer. So, reason #2: To make better use of space and organization principles.

You could also say that I have a pathological need to maintain a healthy and working collection of pretty much everything I collect - be it books (I did my field study project on the reference collection of the US EPA-RTP library), my garden (I love to weed!), or my yarn stash. The idea that there is useless yarn in there - waiting, if you will "just in case" rather than "just in time" - is really irritating to me. And when I realize just how much money I spent to purchase that yarn, I get really steamed up.

I am pleased to note that this month I have now officially broken even: 9 skeins given away, 10 skeins knit up (1.5 done this weekend), 19 skeins purchased/gifted. Which means that since totting up the 140 skeins in July, I'm down to 129.5 so far (7.5% gone!). And there are a few more days left in the month to get into the black!

2 comments:

  • Channon

    Great idea! I'm not that disciplined though...

    I haven't forgotten you. I hope to get your contest prize out to you in the next day or so!

  • KT

    I figure some people go to monasteries to learn the Rule of Somebody Organized. I set goals and attempt to reach them. :)

    No prob on the contest prize. I love getting surprises in the mail!

  • Copyright Notice

    All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.