Good Yarn Karma Day

Wednesday, August 01, 2007
One of my destashing goals for the month was to get rid of 5 skeins by giving it away. I decided to go ahead and start off the month with that - and so got together two bags worth of yarn. By my calculations, it actually came to 8 skeins. Way to go, me! And it's been 15 hours and I don't miss any of it (yet)!

The first went to the DD's preschool:This consists of about one full skein of Jiffy, good partials of green Disco (I swear, it was free in the mail!) and red chenille, and about 24-30 small bits. In my estimation, 10-15 bits = 1 skein, and 2 partials = 1 skein. So this comes to 4 skeins...

The preschool promptly put it to good use - this week they're discussing "occupations," and they made paper people in art. These collage people were supposed to demonstrate a career (the DD made a "doctor for babies" - Moddy eat your heart out). They used not just magazine bits, but also this yarn! W00t!

And then I gave MEL at work these:

That would be three full skeins (supersaver, baby coordinates, and TLC) and two partials (some baby blanket leftover, and a caron perfect match). 4 more skeins! She is taking them home to Oklahoma to make baby items for the local reservation hospital there. She's also a relative newbie to knitting, and so is grateful for donations to help her practice. I think she may use the supersaver to do gauge swatches of stitch patterns. I did this myself many years ago - and still think occasionally that I'll seam them all together into a blanket...

In other good knitting karma, the DD was so excited about the yarn that she asked again if I would teach her how to knit. Remember, this is a child who cannot yet read. Normally "knitting" means screwing around with a mass of yarn - maybe occasionally poking the mass with a needle, but usually just running your fingers through it. Actually, that sounds kind of fun...

Back on topic. Tonight she actually wanted to knit WITH NEEDLES. So, I got out some Suede and US 10 needles, and cast on 8 stitches. We snuggled on her bed, and I guided her through doing all 8 stitches. And I swear, I didn't do the whole thing - I helped with that tricky third step, but otherwise she did it herself! I'm just so proud! AND - sign of a true knitter - she asked if she could do "just one more row!"

This month I'm hoping to go through this yarn:

That's 4 full skeins, plus 4 partial skeins. The supersaver is to be a doggie blanket for charity, the homespun, green fluff, polarspun, and phentex are all to be hats, the woolease is for socks, the Rumour is a scarf (actually, it's nearly done already), and the patons wool will be a felted bowl. Oh, and then there's a mystery birthday present that I can't post here until it's done and given away!

1 comments:

  • KT

    Update: I've finished the Rumour scarf and a pair of socks (and a bonus flower) from the Wool-Ease. Am about half done with the I-cord for the world's ugliest coffeepot cozy for Dads (yarn not pictured), and then I just have to weave in 20 ends to finish it off.

  • Copyright Notice

    All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.