FOs & Yarn P0rn

Friday, August 10, 2007
This week I've been busy working on my one skein projects for Stashalong (and for stash reduction in general). I finished a scarf, pair of socks, a flower for a hair elastic, and the Ugliest Coffeepot Cozy in the World (the DH points out that there may not be much competition for this award - unlike among tea cozies). See photo at the right. The colors for the cozy didn't come out well (it's too sunny), but it's made from cotton, and the middle stripes are little bits left over from washcloths - including the turtle tracks cloth and Clark's cloths. When the 'rents get here with the coffeepot I'll get a better shot of it on (assuming it fits).


The lesson here: Never demand a gift of a knitter. You may get what you deserve. I just hope the Dads recognizes the spirit in which it was made (that is, as a bit of a joke!).

The next birthday present of the month were the red socks for S that I've been meaning to make for years. They are friggin huge! This was my first experiment with short row heels (love them!), but since I didn't have a proper pattern nor measurements for S's feet (although I know she wears a size 10) they could very well be horrible. I can't post a pattern because I kind of made it up as I went, but here's a narrative:
1 skein Lion Brand Woolease; US 5 dpns (gauge is 5sts/in; 8rows/in)
CO 48 sts. Work 2x2 rib for 10 rows.
Pattern: Rows 1&2: (p2; k2) repeat to end; Rows 3&4: (k2; p2) repeat to end (remember, this is knit in the round).
Work pattern for 10 rows.
Work short row heel over half of the stitches (this part will get no further explanation; sorry).
Work pattern for 52 rows (13 repeats).
Work toe by decreasing 2 sts on each side of toesies every other row, until 16 sts rem; graft toe closed.

See, not a real pattern, but you get the idea. The cuff comes to just above the ankle; I meant it to be longer but was knitting in the dark at the beach, so something happened and I don't know what, but at least it happened on the first sock so I could repeat it!


And here is my reward for being such a good girl: I present to you, my first ever yarn p0rn shot...

The whole reason to do the destashing thing is to get rid of the cheapy yarns that I got from AC Moore/Michaels over the years. Yesterday I browsed the summer sale at Yarns, etc., and was so happy. Mary is a nice woman, and there was such a sense of camaraderie at the shop. Sigh, such a good experience. I came away with 6 skeins of Berocco Lullaby (sweater for the DD), 2 skeins of mercerized cotton (socks? bookmark?), 3 skeins of Rowan Handknit Cotton (baby hats for twins due in a few weeks), and 2 skeins of Classic Elite Wool Bamboo (dunno what that's for - gloves, maybe?).

That comes to 13 skeins bought. Adding in the 2 skeins from my ITE4 partner, I've gained 15 skeins this month. I gave away 8 and have knitted up 3, so have decreased by 11; I'm 4 skeins in the hole for the month. So, I have to knit up 9 skeins this month (or 19 over the next 3 months). I may not make 9 more this month, but ought to be able to average 6-7 over the quarter. I've been working on the felted bowl, but as usual the 100% wool is driving me crazy. Argh!

1 comments:

  • Ooh the colors on the Berrocco are fun! Can't wait to see you knit it up!

  • Copyright Notice

    All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.