Fall Into Autumn Dishcloth Exchange Questionnaire

Thursday, August 30, 2007
You know, I'm a sucker for a good swap... particularly when I get to do something that the rest of my family just isn't into. It's a sad, sad thing when the people you love aren't excited about dishcloths and totes! The seasonal dishcloth swap is "Fall Into Autumn". Here's my questionnaire:

1. Do you knit or crochet? How long have you been doing it? I knit. I would claim to crochet, but I fear such a claim would be offensive to people who can actually crochet worth a damn. Suffice to say - I have been exposed to crochet, and can put a sc (ooh! I knew an abbreviation) around a piece of knitting and maybe not even pucker it, most of the time. My mother taught me to knit in 1980, so you can see why I would feel more comfortable with that craft.

2. Have you made dischloths before? Do you use them yourself, give them as gifts, or both? I knit dishcloths often. I find them a fun way to experiment with an interesting pattern/texture/colorway. I almost never make cloths with images on them. I almost always give them away - particularly to friends with new babies. My DD loves her knit cloths, most of which are tiny b/c I made them from leftover cotton.

3. What's your favorite cotton to make cloths from? What cotton would you like to try that you haven't before? Mostly I use Sugar n' Cream, because it's cheap and easily available around here. I'd love to try the KnitPicks Cotlin, but I'm not really picky.

4. If you knit, do you prefer circular or straight needles? For all, do you prefer wooden, metal, or plastic needles? I prefer circulars. Most of my knitting is done on the bus, so I need needles that are less likely to get dropped while riding... also I found I poked people with the blunt ends if I had long straights. I do a lot of circular knitting too, and find circs are a lot faster (and less prone to loss) than dpns. I mainly use aluminum or plastic for the big honkin ones... I have a set of Needlemasters that are metal and are my standard needles. My grandmother gave me her collection, which are also mostly metal (with some ivory dpns from her aunt).

5. What are your favorite colors? Any colors you don't like much? I LOVE blue. All blues, really, but I'm most fond of that really bright and intense cobalt blue. I'm also partial to Carolina Blue, tarheel girl that I am. In general I go with jewel tones - cobalt/sapphire blue, emerald green, ruby red, amethyst purple - and avoid pastels. I'm also not a fan of bright oranges, but in combination with yellows and browns, rusty oranges can be beautiful.

6. What do you like best about Autumn? I like the way a tree can be green one day and flaming red the next. I like the way the days are still warm but the nights are chilly, so you want to snuggle with your sweetie. I like how you can finally turn off the a/c and open the windows, but you don't need the heat on yet. I like sunsets that happen during dinner. I like planting trees and shrubs to overwinter and be ready for the spring. I like seeing the school buses appear again. I like shopping for apples and squash/pumpkins at the farmer's market. My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving, so that's something to look forward to all fall. I like meeting the new crop of pharmacy students and getting to know them. I like watching the World Series on TV (if the Red Sox are in it) and the start of college basketball season. I like hearing the marching band practice all the way on the other side of campus. I love the music of Advent and All Saints. I like dispensing candy to the little kids in my neighborhood at Halloween. My main scholarly conference is in October, so I like seeing my friends from other institutions there. And fall is when the best pies are made... Although spring is my favorite season, fall is right behind.

7. Pies: Pumpkin? Apple? Pecan? All of em? or No Thanks! Yes please! Why do people eat cake, when there's pie available? A local church has a barbecue fundraiser every year. It's all you can eat - and I eat a token plate of bbq and then have one slice of every type of pie. You know Harold and the Purple Crayon? The bit where he gets hungry so he makes his favorite food - nine different types of pie. I'm all there with you, Harold. I would only eat pie if I could. These would be my favorite types of pie (in no particular order): pumpkin, sweet potato, apple, cherry, key lime, pecan, mixed berry, strawberry-rhubarb, Boston creme, lemon meringue, peach... That's 11! Not a huge fan of the savory pie, I must admit, though I am a sucker for a good quiche...

8. When you were a kid, were you the one who couldn't wait to get started with school , or the one who overslept on the 1st day? I loved school. My friends were there and I got out of the house. I was valedictorian, went to Harvard, and am now a librarian AND and professor. School is cool, dude.

9. Do you celebrate Halloween? In the American commercial sense of "celebrate," yes. That is, the DD gets dressed up, the DH takes her treating with some friends, I stay home and do the candy dispensing, later we sit up "inspecting" the candy.

10. If you had to choose just 3 edible 'goodies' to eat for a full year, what 3 would you choose? M&Ms, mint peppermint patties, sour cream & onion potato chips. And pie. Pie shouldn't be a "goodie," it should be a major dietary staple, like rice.

11. Do you have any pets? Kids? Husbands who seem like kids? ;) Currently no pets, though I have had two dogs, four fish (one lived 7 years!) and a hedgehog. We may be getting a fish for Christmas, you never know. One kid. One husband.

12. If you were to describe a particular yarn that shares traits of your personality, what would it be and why? Oh lord, introspection. I don't know. I like cotton. Simple, hardworking, under appreciated (it's been a bad day), infinite possibilities, underpinning of the American agricultural economy.

13. Do you use your cloths mostly for dishcloths, or as facecloths? Facecloths, mostly. We have a sponge on a stick for dishes.

14. Favorite Fall Holiday: Halloween or Thanksgiving and why? I love Thanksgiving. I answered a quiz or something about this at some point, hang on while I find it. Ah yes, from the SP11 questionnaire:


I love Thanksgiving because it's all about being around the people you love and giving thanks for them. Also, it's unabashedly about food. And no one expects you to knit them anything... I do love turkey, though, so it'll probably be Thanksgiving.

Every year we spend the day with my in-laws, and the whole family comes. One year we had 30 people! It's our chance to see all the cousins - who live across 10 time zones now - as well as various family friends and hangers-on. Plus, my MIL is a fabulous cook, and she even lets me help (this is a big deal). One year I got to calculate how many broccoli florets to cook, given an estimate that each person would eat 13 florets and there were 27 people coming. And then I was supposed to count them out from the bags of Broccoli-Woccoli (note: my SIL was my partner in this). Remarkably, it came out perfectly to two bags of Broccoli-Woccoli! (wink!). Note: the average person does not, in fact, eat 13 broccoli florets, particularly when there are two types of bean casserole, two types of mashed potatoes, creamed onions, three types of cranberry dressing, homemade rolls, meatballs, crudite, spicy peanuts (my contribution; someone needs to shake up these Yankees), and two whole turkeys to eat. And don't get me started on the pie. There are usually at least four kinds of pie, and if you read my answer above you will understand that I take twice as much pie as I can actually eat so that I can save it for breakfast and lunch on Friday... oh, my poor waistline.

15. Do you have any allergies or aversions your pal should know about? I am allergic to wool. It sucks. I also am allergic to onions.

3 comments:

  • Anne

    Ah hah! And hopefully this time, KnitPicks will actually have CotLin available for your pal to even have the option! They were TOTALLY out of stock when I spoiled you. Jerks! :p Thanks for getting this up!

  • Hi KT! I am thrilled to be your Fall Into Autumn spoiler, since I've been reading your blog for a long time! Just wanted to pop in to say "hi!"

  • KT

    Holy cow - a long time? My mom doesn't even read this thing! ;) Actually, she does - hi Mom! - which makes surprising her with knitwear a bit tricksy...

  • Copyright Notice

    All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.