Wavy Feather Bookmark

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

This bookmark is unusual - it's not rectangular! The wave pattern is created by having increases on one side and decreases on the other - then flipping sides. Because of the wave, the bookmark has an illusion of width and complexity, but is a relatively simple lace pattern that knits up quickly.

The pattern is Japanese Feather from Barbara Walker's 2nd Treasury.


Materials:
1 (partial) skein Patons Grace (1.75oz/50gm to 136yds/125m) 100% mercerized cotton (shown in Rose), CYCA size 3
US 3 (3.25mm) knitting needles
darning needle

Instructions:
Cast on 12 sts.
Row 1 (and all wrong side rows): K1; P10; K1
Rows 2 and 4: P1; K10; P1
Row 6: P1; K1; (YO K1) three times; SSK three times; P1
Row 8: P1; K1; (K1 YO) three times; SSK three times; P1
Row 10: as Row 6
Row 12: as Row 8
Row 14: as Row 6
Rows 16 and 18: P1; K10; P1
Row 20: P1; K2Tog three times; (K1 YO) three times; K1; P1
Row 22: P1; K2Tog three times; (YO K1) three times; K1; P1
Row 24: as Row 20
Row 26: as Row 22
Row 28: as Row 20
Repeat these 28 rows again.
Work 5 rows of stockinette stitch (purl on wrong side; knit on right side).
Bind off.
Weave in ends.
Block; I used some spray starch to stiffen the bookmark slightly and pressed using a steam iron.

6 comments:

  • KT, you're amazing! You have the coolest bookmark patterns for sportweight yarn! I just finished this one a couple of minutes ago. I've been knitting for almost a year, and have feared wavy knits, but this was easy ans quick, and I love how it came out! :)

  • KT

    So glad you like them! I've been participating in little swaps lately and find that they are a great secret pal gift - and work for readers. I'm a librarian - I know lots of readers!

  • Kimmylee

    Greetings KT!
    I just found your pattern on ravelry (calli10, because I also do calligraphy) I am going to use it for another project a lanyard for my $%#@! cellphone! I have lost it in that bottomless pit called a purse or suitcase, or file cabinet, or knitting bag for the last time (yea right), get the idea? I will shoot you off a photo when I whip it up. Look me up I need some friends on ravelry.

  • Beth

    Just knitted this up for a librarian I know and it turned out so beautiful in a celery colored cotton. Thanks for the press and starch tip too ... and for the great pattern!

  • This pattern is so great!I didn't even know that you could do those wavy bookmarks without a lot of mistakes and horror on the knitter's part (call me the unknowing beginner).

  • This pattern is so great! Great, great, great!!!!! Thank you SO much for posting it. How did you do it so nicely in the picture? I can NEVER get my knitting to look nice. This pattern is so easy, and nice, and fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • Copyright Notice

    All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.