Serious need for destashing

Sunday, July 01, 2007
So you remember the post where I put up a photo of the stash and made some little comments about how big it is? Last night I actually sat down and did a full inventory of it. Boy am I shocked. I'm pleased to say that there are only two skeins that I don't remember (and can't imagine) purchasing/receiving. That is the only piece of good news.

Here's the bad news:

I have 96 untouched skeins of yarn.
And an additional 40 or so partial skeins.

Holy cow.

This is actually a bit misleading - I probably have about 70 partial bits, but I lumped the many many 1-4 yard bits together in the count because it just seemed silly to count them all. I would estimate that 1 full skein = 2 partial skeins, on average.

I don't even want to think how many skeins I had in January when I began the Year of Stash. I believe I've gotten through 17 full and 5 partial skeins since then - not counting the ITE4 bag, which will use up the better part of 5 skeins (not counted above).

So the question becomes: for Stashalong, what should my goal be? Should I not purchase any yarn for the next two months? Should I only purchase a skein if I have used up two/three/four from the stash? Should I have a net decrease from the stash of some number/percent of stash per month? I could also declare that I'll do a certain number of FOs this month - but knowing me I could easily bump that up with bookmarks and washcloths, neither of which use much in the way of stash. The leading candidate right now is setting a goal of net decrease over the next month. This would allow me to purchase yarn for a project as long as I still use up the goal amount.

Next problem: what should the goal amount to use be? I'm thinking I try to get through 5% of the stash this month. That would be about 5 full skein equivalents. Seeing as this month I'm in swaps for dishcloths, bookmarks, pincushions, and other little things, I think I'll probably manage to get rid of a number of the partial skeins. Also, that's a little over one skein a week - should be doable. I'll also point out that if I knit 5 skeins a month for a year I'll get through half the stash over the course of the year. That's pretty darned cool, if you ask me.

A lot of the stash is random novelty yarns. My first project will be a purse made from ribbon yarn. It'll need to be lined, which I dislike doing, but it should look cool.

Wish me luck!

1 comments:

  • Alison

    Zoinks! 96 skeins! You should knit a sweater for your house :) or for your tree, a la:
    http://erika.fisherking.org/?page_id=271

    I will answer your bag questions today, I promise! I'm knitting felted mousies at the moment :)

  • Copyright Notice

    All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.