Academic friends, veggies, charity knitting

Tuesday, July 24, 2007
This week has been a bit of a downer - two of my good friends are moving on to take faculty jobs at universities/colleges not in town, I'm at stopping points in most of my knitting, and my garden is entering the summer dry spell. Last night we had a goodbye dinner with my friend J, who is moving to a different time zone and whom I won't see but once a year from now on. Very sad. Tonight we're helping T pack for her move this weekend - though in all honesty since she'll be working only 1.5hours away and her boyfriend lives close by I'll probably still see her about as much as I do now. She's not planning to quit choir in the short term, so Sundays will be extra special. I spent the evening yesterday after J left weaving in ends on four washcloths, a baby blanket, and seaming up a 1-skein purse... the purse still needs to be lined, and two of the other items need serious blocking, so no photos yet. I may get around to posting three of the cloths tonight, but we'll see how the packing goes.

In other news, did you know that if you plant 100 carrot seeds you're likely to get 100 carrots? And thinning from 100 to 50 means you still have 50! Holy cow, what do you do with 50 carrots? Answer: you foist them off on your coworkers. Luckily, the librarians around here are used to my overabundance of vegetables & fruits; last year I brought in 10 dozen (yes, dozen) jalapeno peppers, and the year before it was 3 dozen cucumbers (which I had bought as seedlings thinking they were zucchini. Yes, I was a botany major, why?). It's impressive how "hungry" people without gardens are for fresh more-or-less-organic produce - especially when it's free.

Today I contacted the volunteers coordinator at UNC Hospitals. They are in need of baby hats and small blankets for the Neonatal Critical Care Center, so if you're looking for some charity knitting let me know and I'll send you the addy. S is also sending me info on what the Cancer Center needs for knitwear, so I'll post that when I get it. Baby hats are a great way to knit up ends of stash - particularly soft yarns!

2 comments:

  • Alison

    Sorry to hear of your down week
    :( - I hope things look up next week. July can often be a downer month, not sure why...

    We don't have a garden, but get a CSA share and just had fresh salad and burritos with fresh salsa verde for dinner. Yum! If I had 50 carrots, I'd probably juice them :) Any hints as to what to do with a bowling-ball-sized cabbage?

    I'm head down in Harry Potter, but will be updating my blog this week I'm sure - I finished my swatch, but haven't felted it yet...

  • msrib

    hi.. i found you on the ITEIV blog.. i see that you're by a UNC hospital.. are you in the Chapel Hill area by chance? i live over in Carrboro!

    great blog! i'm going to have to check out some of your free patterns for future projects. =)

  • Copyright Notice

    All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.