Joined yet another group...

Sunday, June 03, 2007
This time it's the Save Cash! Use Your Stash! KAL... I'm amused that part of what we're doing is calculating how valuable the yarn is that got used up, and are keeping both personal tallies and a group log of how much money we save by not buying something new when there's perfectly usable yarn in the stash. I just started in June, so can't claim the stuff that I did so far (most of which is reported here in the blog), but it would be fun to tot it all up anyway:

  • 2 skeins Berocco Vibe (scarf): $6
  • 1 skein Patons Cha Cha: $5
  • 1 (partial) skein SuperSaver: $2
  • 1 skein Bernat Boa: $4.50
  • 1 skein Chenille Thick N Quick: $7
  • 2 skeins Moda Dea Dream: $12
  • 3 skeins Bernat Handicrafter Cotton: $4.50
  • 2 skeins Patons Bohemian: $8
  • 2 skeins Lion Boucle: $4
  • 250 yds (approx) recycled sari silk: $10

That's a total of $63. Which is actually a lot less than I thought it would be. I haven't included a few other projects that just finished or are almost finished (half sized baby blanket, toddler hat/scarf, clutch) that will bring it up to about $25 more... part of the reason is that I got a bunch of the above from Smiley's Yarns for more than 50% off. I love that store! It would be nice to knit with more expensive yarn - but given that most of what I'm knitting is short-lived on purpose I really can't conscience buying yarn over $10/skein. Call me cheap, I can take it. Maybe once the stash is under control I'll feel like I've saved enough to splurge. But then again, I've recently discovered KnitPicks yarns and could be happy with them for quite a while, thank you.

There are a few things that I was weak and bought yarn for... like Lisa's baby blanket (the checkerboard one). She got it in the mail on Friday and loves it (yay! thank God for non-knitters!). But all in all I'm doing pretty well, I think!

0 comments:

Copyright Notice

All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.