Dischloth Exchange Questionnaire

Tuesday, June 26, 2007
So I've joined yet another swap - this time the Dog Days of Summer Dishcloth Exchange. I have to fill out a questionnaire, so here 'tis (answers in yellow):

  1. Do you knit, or crochet, or do both? I mainly knit; I can crochet well enough to do a simple border around knit edges.
  2. How long have you been knitting\crocheting? My mother taught me to knit in 1985 when we were living in Germany. I was approximately 10. I didn't really learn how to cast on until I went to college in 1993 and couldn't get her to do it for me.
  3. Have you knit dishcloths or dishtowels before? Yup. I like to give washcloths to friends/family members who have babies. I prefer using knit washcloths to terry - and don't use paper napkins/towels unless absolutely necessary.
  4. What are your favorite cotton yarns? I like all cotton yarns - tend to get the Sugar N Cream or Bernat for washcloths, as it is inexpensive but sturdy.
  5. Is there a cotton or linen you’ve been dying to try but have not? The new KnitPicks CotLin - I'm on a yarn diet so am not buying new yarn for myself this spring. A close friend made a washcloth for me in it, and it's lovely.
  6. Are there any cotton yarns you don’t enjoy knitting with? Nope.
  7. What type of needle do you prefer using? (Metal/Wood/Plastic) Metal. I inherited a large collection of needles (mostly circulars) from my Oma last year - and also have set of Needlemasters. Plastic is too lightweight; I have a problem with bamboo splitting.
  8. What other projects do you enjoy knitting or crocheting? I love knitting bags! I also do a lot of stitch pattern intensive projects, like baby blankets, scarves/hats, and bookmarks. I don't do sweaters much, as it's hot in NC and there's not much call for them except about 3 months of the year.
  9. Do you have other hobbies or enjoy other kinds of crafting? I'm an avid gardener, particularly of herbs. I also sew, but not as much.
  10. What kind of treats do you like? Chocolate? Candies? Nuts? I love chocolate. Don't really eat much candy, though, since I'm on a perennial diet.
  11. What colors are your kitchen and bath decorated in, if any? Our house is pretty much blue. I'd have to say the kitchen has accents of cobalt and Carolina blue (an intense baby blue), while the bathrooms also have some green.
  12. What are your favorite colors and what colors do you dislike? See above for faves. I'm not a big fan of yellows and oranges, normally, but in washcloths they are ok.
  13. Do you drink coffee? Tea? Other beverages? Not really. Sugar-free kool aid?
  14. Do you have any kids (human or pet variety!)? Dd.
  15. Do you have any allergies? I am allergic to onions and citronella, and sensitive to wool and other animal fibers (I know, it sucks).
  16. Please share 3 tidbits about yourself that you think your pal and other swappers might find odd or interesting. I used to have a hedgehog named Obie, and still have a collection of hedgie figurines. Our goldfish, Alex, lived for 7 years! Unfortunately, we have no pets right now... In the summertime I like to go swimming, work in my yard (when it's not beastly hot and dry), sail with my parents in Baltimore, and watch baseball (the Durham Bulls and Carolina)... Before I became a librarian I was training to be a botanist (studying the evolution & taxonomy of odd families of plants in China) and then worked as an environmental/ consumer rights "advocate" with the PIRGs...

3 comments:

  • Meemo

    Dear KT,
    I would really enjoy writing you if you would let me in on your email address. I crochet and learned from my mom. I had a oma once too, but she passed a good while back. I want to learn to knit and could use a little encouragment. Here is my email:computerlady64@yahoo.com
    If you interested and have time, let me hear a few lines from you! I am EP.

  • KT

    Hi there -
    So glad you found my blog! I have taught a bunch of women to knit who were already crocheters. They usually had a better "relationship" with the yarn than total novices, and just needed to figure out the awkwardness of moving from one stick to two... What have you been working on? Do you have a book to refer to? When I taught my husband we also got him the "I Can't Believe I'm Knitting" book - the woman on the cover looks a little crazy but the directions inside aren't bad. Most of the craft/hobby stores in the US carry it and/or others (Like the Knitting for Dummies book - I'm amused by that one) :) I'm happy to be your cheerleader however you need me to be - KT

  • A pet hedgehog? No kidding? Wow!

    My two-year-old daughter is seriously into hedgehogs now, thanks to The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, by Beatrix Potter.

  • Copyright Notice

    All content in this blog, including patterns and photos, is the intellectual property of Katherine Vaughan. All rights under US Copyright Law are reserved. Teachers, please direct your students to download/print out their own copies of patterns used in class. You are, of course, welcome to use items knit from any pattern for charity or sale, with the statement "design by Katherine Vaughan" appreciated.